“Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand - and melting like a snowflake.”
- Francis Bacon

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

If I'm cleaning a closet, I want a cupcake, too!


My gosh, it's been a busy time for me. I thought I'd begin the New Year by NOT sitting around and by being much more responsible when it comes to cleaning out all of those nooks and crannies, you know the ones, that seem to never be explored until you've lost something and can't find it. So, yesterday began my journey into the black holes that are often referred to as my closets and cupboards. I tied a rope to my ankle and then to my bed-post, because you never know when something in one of those dark places is going to want to pull you in! Once I had crawled to the back of my walk-in closet, true to form, I couldn't just sort and toss away quickly; I had to sit on the floor, flashlight in hand, to read and to touch and to think and to go down memory lane...just a little bit. Rosemary, my Lassie kitty (that's another story), played with ribbon she found in a box and then curled up on my legs to take a purring snooze as I drifted into a place in my heart that held memories, oh, so dear. Crochet, knitting and craft patterns were held in my hands almost reverently. Patterns I had used to make gifts, patterns I always wanted to use, but didn't, and some that still made me yearn for a comfy seat, a crochet hook, some quality yarn, and the utter pleasure of creating with your hands a goodie for someone who is near and dear to your heart.

I browsed oodles of patterns and pattern books for making all sorts of doll clothes, most are crochet which is my craft of choice. I was brutally honest with myself, and kept in a little pile the ones that I know for sure that I will eventually make for my grandchild, Rachel, and those that were orphans, no home and no purpose and in desperate need of someone to love them and use them and appreciate them. It looks like I have my work cut out for me for the rest of the week. I'll be scanning and editing and loading the ones that I would like to pass to someone else into eBay for auction; hoping that there is someone else on this planet that enjoys crochet and dolls and little girls just as much as I do. I waited a long time for Rachel to be born. She's the only girl out of my seven precious grandchildren. God, in his generous blessing on my heart, gave me just what I wanted and prayed for: a six pack of little boys with one little girl, as perfect as a pink rose, to sweeten up the mix.



It will probably take me a month of Sundays to accomplish all I hope to do this brand New Year but that's OK. Along with the clean closets and cupboards I'll gain a deep satisfaction in knowing that my long-stored goodies and crochet and craft patterns with either be used by me or will find a new home.

And, being one who always enjoys a little rainbow waiting for me at the end of particularly arduous task, in the late afternoon I let my fingers do the walking on my laptop looking for recipes and ideas for cupcakes. Why cupcakes? Oh, you know they're all the rage now, but that wasn't even close to my desire to find just the place to search out a nummy cupcake recipe along with an easy, decorative hint...one that little hands could easily manage. When I have my grandsons for a sleep-over, it's fun to do something a little (skip this if you have sensitive eyes) artsey-fartsey. I found a blog filled with so many recipes that I'll have to live to be one hundred to make, bake and eat all of them. If you love cupcakes and you enjoy reading recipes like I do and you see little cupcakes as mini-works-of-art, slide on over to Cupcake Recipes believe me, you are in for a treat! This talented lady "from across the pond" has several blogs filled with recipes, but cupcakes was what I was after and cupcakes is what I found. Just don't go there hungry...you'll be sorry if you do! Aren't they just the sweetest works of art? It's going to be difficult to pick a recipe for the boys and I to make so I think I'll select a few and let them make the decision for me.


OK, now back to the closet...did I just hear something rattling around behind the door? Now, where's that ankle rope? You can never be too cautious!

No comments: