“Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand - and melting like a snowflake.”
- Francis Bacon

Monday, February 23, 2009

Dieting? Scale doesn't move? Big, fat hips? Give yourself a boost and put on some old boots!

I've been sharing here on my blog for several weeks but one thing about me I haven't shared is that I have been on a weight-loss journey for the past few months. Now, before anyone gets all excited and thinks I'm going to share some magic pill, Snickers-diet way to drop 100 pounds in a month, maybe you'd better go read another blog because I am doing it the old-fashioned way. I am watching my calorie intake, logging in each and every morsel that goes into my mouth and moving my body more than I have in the past. When I stopped smoking my lungs got bigger and better but at the same time my hips got bigger...but not better. But that's not the point of this blog entry. What I want to share with you is the fact that a little known fact about weight loss took place right in my very own home...to me...regular, ol' me!

OK, I know things change when you lose weight. I know you take your measurements and compare the numbers at intervals to check your progress and to encourage yourself to stay on the right track. I know that. I read that. I know that if you are a good kid and stick to your plan the numbers on the scale will get smaller and smaller. I get it. But...my FEET?

For the past two years my warmest and most comfortable winter boots, the ones with the warm, fuzzy lining, made of soft, supple leather and nice, long laces have been off limits for me. For two winters I'd put them on, say a little "don't hurt ME" prayer, go outside, walk to the garage for my shovel and feel like a cripple in a matter of minutes. They'd pinch and poke and scrunch to the extent that I'd rather be barefoot in the snow than wearing those things. So, sadly, I'd limp back into the house using my snow shovel for a crutch, change into my less than stylish boots and go back outside to finish my shoveling. But I kept those boots, yes, I sure did. They cost me an arm and a leg a few years ago and at today's prices, they'd be at least two arms and a leg, so I kept them, determined that they were mine and no one else could have them.

So, I'd end up outside wearing my old clunker boots (the ones that my dog, Freyja, chewed on when she was a puppy) shoveling snow with cold, wet feet and feeling like I just lost my best friend. I'd be out there hoping that no one saw me, and if they did, they didn't offer me a buck or two thinking that I didn't have enough money to buy myself some new boots. Of course, that made for some pretty rapid shoveling so I could hurry back into the house to warm my feet and to hide from my neighbors, but it did nothing for my self-esteem.

The other day it was cold, and I mean cold (less than zero), outside, so I thought that I'd live with the pain just to keep my feet warm while I shoveled snow. I slipped those sweet cutie pies of mine on and...well, what-do-you-know...those boots, the very same boots that made me feel as though my feet were in a vise-grip FELT GOOD! I wore them out in the snow and I spent almost three hours walking around in them and they felt NORMAL! I even shoveled more and better than I had in years. I was a snow-shoveling marvel! My gosh, my feet lost weight...they really, honestly, for sure DID get thinner or smaller or more svelte (if you can call a foot svelte)! And the best part...my boots, the ones that were warm and cozy and soft, fit again!

I had read a while back that shoe size could change with weight loss (or gain) but I thought...um, aw, heck, not me. Well, yes, me! ME, ME, ME! My feet lost weight, size, stature, whatever you want to call it. My tootsies now fit into my favorite, stylish, warm-as-heck winter boots! This almost makes shoveling snow worth it...but lest I get carried away, I STILL DON'T THINK SHOVELING SNOW IS FUN, not really.

So, if you think you've been at a stand-still with your weight loss and the scale isn't moving and your hips are still the same size...try on some boots from the back of your closet! Heck, it's worth a try! And, at the very least, you'll burn some calories crawling around on your hands and knees checking out the closet floor!
Free Signature Generator

6 comments:

Four Paws and Co said...

This is a good one! Hmmm, I just remembered, after I hit 40, many years ago, my feet became wider. Good thing I had really narrow feet when I was younger, because they're a medium width now! ♥ Diane

Terri Steffes said...

Excellent idea! I lost 40 pounds this fall but at a stand still now (is it all the Girl Scout cookies I have consumed?). I need to hit it a bit more seriously.

Anonymous said...

Mimi,
I am happy for you....Yes I know you can lose weight on your feet....after losing weigh. I have lost 42 pds....my shoes are loose and comfortable than they ever been...Hooray! Congrats on your weigh ost....keep up the good work....Great post....Have a wonderful week..Katherinellen

Nola said...

My eyes were caught by the words "Snickers-diet", I KNEW that sounded too good to be true.
How great about your boots. The next time my jeans won't zip, I'll check my boots, maybe I can find SOMETHING that fits. My biggest weight loss surprise is how rings need to be resized (up or down, depending).

Unknown said...

I'm always looking for the perfect or easy diet but they all come down to the same thing..eat less & exercise more. Keep up the good work. Esther

kymber said...

Hi Mimi,
Oh my goodness girl! YOu had me laughing this morning!

I am glad to hear that there is hope that I will someday be able to wear MY snug boots again. I can so relate to what you said about the pain you feel when putting on some shoes. I mean come on! That pair fit when I bought them - what happened?

Discipline has been lacking in my house lately - I need to get back on that horse - I have a trip planned in May to go to Hawaii to see my daughter graduate. I won't be wearing my boots, but it would be nice to be able to wear something tinier that I won't die of embarrassment in! :-)

Keep up the good work on YOUR new lifestyle change.... We can do this right?
Have a blessed day today,
Kymber