“Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand - and melting like a snowflake.”
- Francis Bacon

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I ♥ Chocolate Chip Nut Pie in a Jar ~ Easy peasy make it now, gift it later!


I usually have one or two of these in my pantry, already made and set to go at the last minute. When I need a hostess gift, an additional Christmas present or have been asked to donate to my church or animal shelter bake sale all I need to do is add a pretty ribbon, print out the directions and voila', it's good to go! (If you live in a warm climate, store in your fridge so the chips won't melt ☺)

I find the decorative jars during the summer at tag sales, yard sales, you name it - if it's cute, has a tight top or lid and is large enough to hold the mix - it's mine!

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup granulated sugar (or use half brown granulated)
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • pinch salt

Preparation:

Pour sugar into a lightweight zip-lock bag. Tie with twine or ribbon and cut off excess plastic bag end, if necessary. Fit bag into the bottom of a 1-quart wide-mouth canning jar. Pour in half of the nuts, the chocolate chips, and remaining nuts. Into another zip-lock bag, add flour and pinch of salt. Tie bag and cut off some of the excess end as before. Fit into the top of the jar then screw on top.

Directions for gift tag:

Chocolate Chip Nut Pie in a Jar

  • Chocolate Chip Nut Pie Mix
  • 1 9-inch pastry shell, unbaked
  • 4 ounces (1 stick) melted butter
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Remove the bag of sugar from jar; set aside. Pour nuts and chocolate chips into pie shell, spreading evenly. In a small mixing bowl, whisk 2 eggs. Empty the sugar and flour bags into the bowl, stirring to blend well. Whisk in 1 teaspoon vanilla and the 4 ounces melted butter. Blend well. Pour batter evenly over nuts and chocolate chips. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until nicely browned. Chill thoroughly before cutting. Serve with a dollop of vanilla ice cream. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.

Over at my foodie blog, Standing at the Kitchen Door, I have another chocolate pie recipe that is divine! Rich, very rich, you will need a glass of milk or a cup of tea or coffee when you sit down for dessert or to have a little snack in the evening. Just as easy-peasy as you please, too☺

8 comments:

T said...

What an EXCELLENT gift!! I love this, and now I must go shopping for all of the ingredients and a few jars.

Thank you so much for sharing, this is perfect!

A Pilgrim said...

I really like "cookies in a jar" recipes. This is the first time I've ever seen a pie in a jar. It sounds good.

BTW, which church up there are you going to?

Anonymous said...

thanks so much for this recipe, I too have had chicken soup, muffins etc., no pie.. this is a great idea
J

Four Paws and Co said...

It's so pretty & such a wonderful gift! Great idea Mimi! ♥ Diane

Eclectic Chic Style said...

It makes such a pretty presentation too!!! Thank you Mimi for such great ideas and recipes!!
♥ Teresa

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh this sounds delicious. A nice gift idea too :-)

I love to bake, I love to bake . . . but baking doesn't seem to love me :-( Maybe because we don't have an electric oven where you can just set the time and temperature to help me make things better. And no, we don't have an available ready pastry pie shell (to avoid the kneading)

But someday . . . one day . . . :-)

Irma's Rose Cottage said...

Mimi, this is such a yummy recipe. Thanks for sharing. I will now need to go get all the items so I can make a couple of them. I just love chocolate.


Hugs :)

Irma

Mrs. Petrie said...

Hi! I'm here for PS, but I had to comment on this awesome idea for a pie! Yummy, I have to try this soon.